1. In The Third Man, Harry Lime steals, dilutes and resells which drug?
2. Which actor played the role of a patent attorney in the US TV series Harry’s Law?
3. Which 2010 Hollywood movie is about an IP ownership dispute?
4. The characters Wallace and Gromit have been used by the UK IPO to promote innovation. What is the name of the feature film in which they appear?
5. Which 2006 thriller about an inventor trying to protect his innovations from becoming casualties of the Cold War was originally titled Intellectual Property?
6. Which Eddie Murphy movie involves a burger chain infringing McDonald’s trade marks, including using “golden arcs” and the “Big Mick”?
7. David Bowie uses technology from another planet to patent many inventions on Earth and accumulate a fortune in which film?
8. In which 1998 disaster movie do Billy Bob Thornton and Ronald Quincy briefly discuss whether patents apply to outer space?
9. In which 1951 movie does Alec Guinness portray an inventor who is relentlessly pursued by management and trade unions to sign away the rights to his invention of a suit that never needs to be cleaned?
10. Which movie features Gwyneth Paltrow claiming Stark Industries has “the best patent lawyers in the country” while making accusations of “illegal seizure of trade marked property”?
11. Which movie features the line “We hold patents on a few gadgets we confiscated from the visitors. Velcro, microwave ovens, liposuction”?
12. The movie Flash of Genius dramatises the battle between a single inventor and a large American car company over a patent covering which invention?
13. In 2009, Nicolas Cage played an MIT professor who predicts catastrophic events by decoding numbers gleaned from divine sources. A patent holder sued the studio behind the movie, claiming that the decoding method portrayed infringed its patent. What is the name of the movie?
14. Which 2012 movie is about a Chinese-American IP lawyer who is transferred to China?
15. Which two movie megastars appeared in a 2005 anti-piracy awareness advertisement?
For more information about World IP Day, visit WIPO’s dedicated website.