8:30 Registration and continental breakfast
9:00 Opening remarks
9:10 Updates on international regulations for autonomous vehicles
- US: federal and state legislative and regulatory initiatives
- Europe: EU, country and UN laws
- Establishing police and law enforcement rules
- Public policy concerns
Sam Abuelsamid , senior analyst, Navigant Research
10:00 Re-evaluating your existing IP strategies to make way for autonomous vehicles
- Protecting AI through patents
- Understanding the role of trade secrets: implications from Waymo v Uber
- Concerns regarding technology licensing, contracts and standards – keeping the peace with a balanced approach?
- Are the smart phone patent wars coming to the automotive industry and what would that mean?
Michael Carter , principal associate, Gowling WLG ( moderator )
Dalpreet Saluja , associate general counsel & chief IP counsel, Visteon
Jon Wood , executive director innovation & collaboration, Bridgestone Americas
10:50 Refreshment and networking
11:10 Patent and licensing concerns for autonomous vehicles
- Does the changing technology landscape affect the exploitation and protection of patents – ex. SEP and FRAND?
- If patent pools are created, will they be considered anti-competitive by the Justice department?
- Strategies to maintain IP protection along the global supply chain (OEMs, Tier 1s and 2s, after-market companies)
- Open source, LOT Network, or acquisitions of independently-developed IP – which is the viable approach?
Richard Hoffmann , shareholder, Reising Ethington ( moderator )
Mark Duell , principal counsel, Honda Patents and Technologies
Corey Neil , patent attorney, Brose North America
Matthew Johnson , partner, Jones Day
Tao Zhang , assistant general counsel, IP and technology, Ansys
12:00 Best practices before PTAB
Beverly Bunting , lead administrative patent judge, PTAB, United States Patent and Trademark Office
12:20 Lunch and networking
1:10 Cyber/GDPR/Privacy concerns for autonomous vehicles
- Internet of Things for automobiles: who owns the data?
- Digital Geneva Convention
- Hacking risks; who is responsible for information security?
- GDPR compliance
Steven Wernikoff , partner, Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn ( moderator )
Michelle Gallardo , director, legal – global supply chain, Harman International Industries
Alex Simpson , attorney, Microsoft
Daniel Warsh , legal counsel, Bosch USA
2:00 IP litigation considerations for autonomous vehicles
- Patent issuance metrics from the USPTO related to AVs
- Length of time in prosecution for AV patent application
- IP litigation considerations for applications of autonomous vehicles
- Steps to mitigate third-party threats
- Litigation concerns related to Standard Essential Patents
Joe Patiño , partner - Intellectual Property litigation, Foley & Lardner ( moderator )
James McPherson , patent examiner, USPTO
Andy Shieh , counsel, IP, Uber
2:50 Refreshment break and networking
3:10 Redefining autonomous vehicles liability and insurance landscape
- Will AV represent a shift from vehicular negligence to product liability?
- Updates needed to cover civil, criminal and product liability issues
- Determining liability and insurance for ownership vs lease/subscription model
- Questions regarding liability on accidents due to cyberattacks or technological failures
- Are insurers ready for a shift to software companies vs manufacturers?
- Measuring risk resulting from the multitude of parties involved in the production of vehicles and the onboard software
- Ownership/access to product accident data
Matthew Cohn , associate general counsel, corporate , commercial and transaction, Aptiv
Brian Smith , member, Dykema
4:00 Key opportunities and concerns for legal departments in an evolving industry
- Legal department dos and don’ts for unleashing the potential for innovation
- Opportunities and risks in a robust R&D environment to be “first to market”
- Fighting the theft of trade secrets
- Coping with the M&A activity of OEMs
- Can auto companies monetize features directly? What are the fee models and ‘consumer terms’ likely to look like?
Theresa Orr , manager, The Dobrusin Law Firm (formerly GC, NSK) ( moderator )
Jason Skinder, global patent counsel, Aptiv
Antun Peakovic , director of IP, Schaeffler
William Orlewicz , general counsel, Magnum Manufacturing
4:50 Cocktail reception and networking
6:00 Forum ends