9:30 Opening remarks by Michael Loney, managing editor, Managing IP
9:40 Keynote address: Insight from big Pharma: how can IP leaders drive innovations that will bring value to patients and shareholders, changing global views on IP, innovation and access? Aaron Smethurst , director, intellectual property policy, UCB Pharma
10:00 Responding to the key challenges in life sciences to promote commercial growth
- Rethinking your European strategy in preparation of Brexit
- What does Brexit mean for cross-border litigation?
- The Unified Patent Court – final preparations for 2018
- Assessing latest trends in preliminary injunctions across Europe
Annemarie Grabrucker, lawyer, European Patent Office (moderator)
Amarjit Purewal , solicitor, Cancer Research Technology
Francesco Macchetta , director of IP, Bracco
10:40 Coffee break and networking
11:00 Defending second medical use patents across multijurisdictions
- Examining the impact of recent litigation: Lyrica
- To what extent should you be investigating opportunities for new uses of existing medicines?
- Considerations and tips when choosing where to enforce your second medical use claim
- Solutions to overcome cross-labelling infringement
Philipp Cepl, partner, DLA Piper
Beatriz Díaz de Escauriaza, senior IP counsel, Chemo Pharma
11:40 Patent infringement by equivalents
- Application of the doctrine of equivalents– what does the judgement mean in practice?
- What impact will the doctrine have on life sciences companies?
- Doctrine of equivalence across Europe: analysing different approaches
- To what extent are we moving towards harmonisation?
Dieter Kuhn , senior patent attorney, DSM
Jody Giesser , senior patent counsel, DSM
12:20 Lunch and networking
13:20 Scope of SPC regulations
- Identifying and overcoming the challenges of enforcing your SPC’s
- Applying SPC regulation across different European jurisdictions
- The need for legal and business certainty - is the regulation still fit for purpose?
- Case focus: Mylan v Gilead
Marianne Schaffner, partner, Dentons
Fiona Bor, head of IP, Mereo BioPharma
Campbell Forsyth, partner, Dentons
14:00 Arrow declarations: beyond biosimilars
- Application of issues surrounding Arrow declarations
- To what extent can you receive declarations for the invalidity of pending patents
- Analysing European approaches to declaratory relief
- Impact of Supreme Court in Pemetrexed on declaratory relief
Jenny Davies , principal associate, Gowling WLG
Jason Rutt, patent attorney, Boult Wade Tennant
14:40 Coffee break and networking
15:00 Recent approaches to pharma litigation in Russia
- Preparing your IP litigation strategy: who can be sued and for what? Novartis v Nativa
- Patent linkage: does it work in Russia?
- Challenging PTE: a counter-measure of infringers- Pfizer v Canonpharma
- Compulsory license: a new defense against infringement actions
Natalia Nikolaeva , partner, Gorodissky
15:30 Digital era and evolution of life sciences
- Adapting your strategy for today’s competitive pharmaceutical market
- Protecting and developing your assets in a digital world
- Implications of AI and how it is being used to advance drug treatments
- Collaborating with outside counsel to manage uncertainty and prepare for changes ahead
Rachel Wallis, partner, Greaves Brewster (moderator)
Axel Ferrazzini , managing director, 4ip Council
Chris Wright, invention developer, Iprova
16:10 Close of conference