For our cover story this month, Americas reporter Natalie Rahhal asks: does the Supreme Court's TC Heartland ruling signal the end of an era for the Eastern District of Texas? In fact, she says, things may not be as simple as they seem - based on analysis of the latest case data and interviews with those close to the action.
The article also includes analysis of the other Supreme Court decisions from the latest term, including the key takeaways from the important biosimilars case Sandoz v Amgen and an interview with the lawyer involved in Impression Products v Lexmark, as well as a preview of the big case coming up regarding the PTAB - Oil States Energy Services v Green's Energy Group.
Other features in this issue include:
- New opportunities for protecting and managing your data - Afzana Anwer looks at what big data means for IP rights
- Court clarifies design protection in Russia - YuriPylnev on an important recent case
- The US Defend Trade Secrets Act a year on - with more than 300 complaints filed, James Pooley looks at the biggest issues that have emerged
- Vietnam grapples with well-known marks - Tran Manh Hung, Tran Kieu Hoa and Le Mai Linh say reform is needed
- What you should know about Germany's EIL - the Employee Invention Law has a wide scope, making it relevant for patent owners worldwide say Matthias Weiden and Matthias Bornhäusser
- We have a sponsored article on contributory infringement in Europe - before and after the UPC, contributed by Valea
There is also our regular diary, Utynam's Heirs, our sponsored country updates and a summary of recent IP news, social media activity and events.
You can read the mid-year issue in digital format here. Print subscribers will receive their copies in the next few days.
The material on this site is for law firms, companies and other IP specialists. It is for information only. Please read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Notice before using the site. All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws.
© 2020 Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC. For help please see our FAQs.