Download the brochure here
8.50 Opening remarks by Managing IP
9.00 The Unitary Patent and Unified Patent Court: An update
- What is the Unitary Patent and Unified Patent Court?
- A practical guide to making best use of the courts and mitigating costs
- Understanding procedures: From starting proceedings through to trial
- Cost overview: fees of the Unitary Patent and implications on your budget
Kevin Curran, global patent counsel, Bayer Corporation
Tim Whitfield, partner, Powell Gilbert
Alex Wilson, partner, Powell Gilbert
Sabine Age, partner, Veron & Associes
Philip Strassburger Vice President, General Counsel Purdue Pharma
9.50 Patent enforcement in Europe: Deciding on your strategy
- What jurisdictions are available to litigate?
- Cost focus: what are the average costs and procedural advantages of each strategy?
- Strategies to accelerate your patent applications and enforcement
- Best global litigation practices on limited budgets
Ian MacKinnon, counsel, IBM
Caroline Casalonga, partner, Casalonga
Jurgen Neugebauer, partner, Casalonga
Russ Merbeth, chief policy counsel, Intellectual Ventures
10.40 Coffee break and networking
11.00 FRAND: Licensing and litigating standard essential patents in Europe
- The current state of the law following the decisions of the Court of Justice in the European Union in Huawei v. ZTE and the European Commission in Motorola
- A practical guide to successful licensing and litigating of standard essential patents
- The consequences of getting it wrong - as a licensee or as licensor
David Cohen, chief legal & IP counsel, Vringo
David Barron, partner, Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co
11.50 Litigation planning and forum shopping in Europe
- Litigation planning and strategy under the new UPC
- Risks and opportunities of forum shopping in Europe
- Strategies to defend yourself against forum shopping
- Do the benefits of litigating in the UPC outweigh the increased costs and risks?
David Por, partner, Allen & Overy
Joachim Feldges, partner, Allen & Overy
Clemens Heusch, head of European litigation, Nokia
James Harrington, senior vice president, chief IP counsel, Shire Pharmaceuticals
12.40 Working with your European Patent Attorney
Rosie Hardy, UK and European Patent Attorney, Withers & Rogers
- Forward planning
- Alternative filing strategies
- Assessing different prosecution decisions and appproaches
13.10 Lunch and networking
14.00 Opposition proceedings before the UPC
- Exploring revocation actions under the UPC: how does it work?
- Are revocation actions an additional threat to patent owners in Europe?
- What can be learned from the first experiences with the PTAB oppositions in the US?
Leythem Wall, European Patent Attorney, Finnegan
Paul Coletti, associate patent counsel, Johnson & Johnson
14.50 The impact of the UPC on IT & technology
- Analysing the impact of the UPC on the IT and technology sector
- Understanding tools for proceedings and claimant costs
- Contrasting software patent protection in the US vs. Europe
Graham Burnett-Hall, partner, Marks & Clerk
Maureen Kinsler, partner, Marks & Clerk
Matt Levy, patent counsel, Computer & Communications Industry Association
15.40 Coffee break and networking
16.00 FOCUS: Life sciences & pharma
- Concerns versus opportunities: understanding the risk of your patents in the transitional period
- Examining how to obtain an injunction and the scope of liability
- How suitable is the UPC for challenging patents?
Siu Lo, chief IP counsel, Genesis Biotechnology Group
Rutger Kleemans, partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Marianne Schaffner, partner, Dechert
16.50 Alternative dispute resolution strategies
Allison Hobbs, legal counsel, Big Tent Entertainment
- Alternatives to litigation within and outside the UPC
- When is arbitration a good alternative to court proceedings? - the telecoms industry experience
- What makes a successful dispute resolution system?
Matthew Golden, chief counsel - global patents, Mondelez Global
Alex Wilson, partner, Powell Gilbert
Sabine Agé, partner, Véron & Associés
17.40 Close of conference