Download the brochure
8:55 Introduction to day
Emma Barraclough, group editor, Managing IP
9:00 Litigation and technology trends
- Best practice around litigation in IP
- David-versus-Goliath struggle
- Trends in life sciences and biotechnology
- Protecting your brand image as social media and litigation grow
Holly Engelmann, principal, McKool Smith (moderator)
Monisha Deka, investigative attorney, US International Trade Commission
Joan McGillycuddy, chief intellectual property counsel, Avon Products
Bita Goldman, general counsel & VP of operations, Quantum Networks
Irene Kosturakis, chief intellectual property, BMC Software
9:50 Patent Reform in Europe: The Unitary Patent and the Unified Patent Court (UPC)
- How will it work and what will it cost?
- What does it mean for existing European patents?
- When will it happen?
- Opportunities and risks
- Planning for success
Penny Gilbert, partner, Powell Gilbert
Catherine Lacavera, director of litigation, Google
Katie Blakley, global patent counsel, Bayer HeathCare Diabetes Care
Zoë Butler, partner, Powell Gilbert
11:00 Non-practicing entities
- A summary of anti-NPE bills; The Demand Letter Transparency Act 2015, The Innovation Act and Improvements Act
- What will the impact be on the US patent system?
- How do other countries and jurisdictions handle NPEs?
Lisa Meyerhoff, partner, Baker McKenzie (moderator)
Shima Roy, partner, Baker & McKenzie
Caroline McCaffery, general counsel, Sailthru
Michelle Fleming, general counsel, Digium
11:50 Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank International
- What did the Supreme Court say?
- Development in trends over the last 12 months
- What to expect going forward
- The impact of this decision on software and business method innovations
Katherine Minarik, partner, Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott (moderator)
Marian Underweiser, IP strategy & policy counsel, IBM
12:20 Trade mark & copyright issues
- International registration and management of trademarks: The Madrid system
- Trade mark dilution: Recent cases
- Latest thoughts on what constitutes a trade mark (e.g. Louboutin vs YSL)
- Digital and third party liability
- Will copyright legislation be updated?
- Branding and social media
- Dealing with open-source copyright issues
Kim Youngberg, SVP & general counsel, Screenvision (moderator)
Caren Khoo, associate general counsel, Verizon
Gillian Lusins, SVP, intellectual property, NBC Universal
Heidi Garfield, associate general counsel, Shutterstock, Inc.
13:10 Networking lunch
Sponsored by King & Spalding
14:00 Post-Grant Patent Proceedings Before USPTO’s PTAB
- What to expect from PTAB trials
- Key issues in the discovery process
- Key procedures in PTAB procedures
- PTAB and district court parallel litigations
- Covered business method patents
- What is driving success rates?
Linda Thayer, partner, Finnegan Henderson Farabow Garrett & Dunner (moderator)
Judge Rama Elluru, administrative patent judge, Patent Trial and Appeal Board, USPTO
Jill MacAlpine, partner, Finnegan Henderson Farabow Garrett & Dunner
Natalie Moritz, senior counsel, litigation, PNC Financial Services Group
14:50 Canada: A round up of legislative changes
- Canada's new trade mark law - what will change?
- Opportunities for companies arising from the change in legislation
- Canada's Combating Counterfeit Products Act
Stephanie Vaccari, partner, Baker & McKenzie (moderator)
Kamleh Nicola, partner, Baker & McKenzie
15:20 Latin America: An update on regional IP developments
- How trademarks are changing in Latin America
- Patent protection and harmonisation in Latin America
- IP litigation
Laura Collada, managing partner, Dumont Bergman Bider & Co.
16:10 The importance of leadership in developing your career
- What are the attributes of a good leader?
- Is leadership innate or can it be learned?
- Management issues for in-house clients: how your client works
- Career progression: how to map your goals
- Breaking the glass ceiling - advice for women rising through the ranks
Emma Barraclough, group editor, Managing IP (moderator)
Naomi Waltman, SVP & associate general counsel, CBS
Cathy Lueders, SVP, managing counsel, MasterCard Worldwide
Cooper Jackson, SVP, business affairs, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Khue Hoang, partner, Ropes & Gray
17:10 Close of forum