Click here to review the full agenda.
08.15 - 09.00: Registration and coffee
09.00 - 09.05: Opening remarks by Managing IP
9.05 - 9.20: Key note address by Justice Prabha Sridevan, chairman (retired), Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB)
9.20 - 10.20: Opening plenary: IP, local economy and social responsibility in India
- Are India’s patent rights working to enhance the local economy and promote local innovation and foreign investment?
- What steps are being taken to improve the patent laws and promote the economy and how effective are these steps perceived to be?
- Is promoting business being pitted against social responsibility and protecting human rights at home?
- Agriculture patenting: Public IP education to promote the successful growth of the rural economy
Justice Prabha Sridevan, chairman (retired), Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB)
Krishna Singh, CEO, Goldfinn Technologies
Tabrey Ahmad, secretary general, Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India (OPPI)
Pravin Anand, managing partner, Anand & Anand
10.20-10.40: Coffee break and networking
10.40 - 11.40: Life Sciences (Pharma/Bio Tech: Implications on patent-portfolios in India in view of Section 3 (d) and Novartis
- Patentability standards in India versus Europe and the US: what are the consequences of the discrepancy?
- Novartis, Trips and the “right to health”: Will compulsory licensing be the new norm?
- How to avoid compulsory licensing? An overview of options
- How 3(d) is affecting patenting in non-pharmaceutical industries: Reflections on some unforeseen implications
Shamnad Basheer, ministry of human resource development (HRD) professor, National University of Juridical Sciences
Dr. KS Kardam, joint controller of patents & designs, Indian Patent Office
Dr. Alka Metha, head, Formulation Patent Dept., Cipla
Sundeep Kumar, head - corporate & public affairs, Novartis Healthcare
Manoj Pillai, managing partner, Lex Orbis
11.40 - 12.40: Licensing tool kit for enhancing tech transfer in India
- What is to be gained from working with local universities?
- How is the government making provisions for better R&D partnerships
- What does open innovation mean to you? Tailoring the approach to your business
Nilesh Puntambekar, manager- innovation & intellectual property, Emerson Innovation Center (Pune)
Dr. Anil Wali, managing director, Foundation for Innovation and Technology Transfer (FITT)
Indian Institute of Technology
Munish Sudan, senior manager IP & innovation management R&D and scientific services, Tata Steel
Rachna Bakhru, partner, Ranjan Narula Associates
Ranjan Narula, managing partner, Ranjan Narula Associates
12.40 - 13.40: Lunch
13.40 - 14.40: Trademarks: Building, safeguarding and promoting your brand in Europe
- An Introduction to OHIM and how to obtain protection in Europe
- What is a community trade mark?
- Extended audience Q&A and discussion: Spot the infringement!
Matthias Geitz, attorney at law, LS-IP Loth & Spuhler GbR
14.40 - 15.10: Tips on successful patent filing in the USA
- What constitutes patentable matter in the US?
- Inconsistencies of the Supreme Court and how it affects your investments in patentable innovation
- Best use of a provisional patent application and a guide to securing a high quality patent in the US
Pankaj Soni, partner, Remfry & Sagar
15.10 - 15.30: Coffee break
15.30 - 16.30: Software and technology patenting in India: Progress report on the Indian utility model
- Is the utility model in India working to promote local R&D? How can we maximise its benefits?
- A guide to successful drafting and implementation of the utility model patent in India
- Comparative study of the Indian model and other non-Indian utility patents
Akhilesh Gupta, president, Patent Agents Association
R Lakshminarayanan, head - intellectual property rights department, Samsung
Arachna Shanker, senior partner, Anand & Anand
Rajiv Kr. Choudhry, patent of-counsel, Saikrishna & Associates
16.30 - 17.15: Copyright in India
Lakshika Joshi, head - content licensing, The Times of India Group
- How to navigate new changes to the copyright framework
- Analysing fair use defences in news aggregation and copyright infringement
- Best practises to protect your copyright
Maushami Dasgupta- senior vice president (egal), PVR Ltd
Vishnu Rethinam, partner, Remfry & Sagar