What's inside our April issue
Copyright rankings, design developments, managing brand protection, a rare patent case in Hong Kong, our latest UPC scenario, and why you have been doing patent drawings wrong - just some of the articles in the April issue of Managing IP
The April issue of the magazine was published
on April 1, and is available to read online: sign in with your subscription details or
take out a free trial for seven days. In this
- I report on the recent INTA/AIPPI Designs Conference in
Singapore in our cover story "Why we love (and hate) design rights".
We offer five reasons why design rights are great, and (in
the interests of balance) five reasons why they might not be.
The article includes links to our coverage of the recent
Trunki designs case at the UK Supreme Court and the Apple
v Samsung dispute heading to the US Supreme Court.
- Katrina Burchell and Célia Ullmann look at the
struggles companies face in organising their brand protection
internal structure, budgets and reporting lines - and offer
some practical advice in "How to manage brand protection
- The third article in our series looking at hypothetical
scenarios in the UPC considers a standards case from the defendant's
perspective. Michael Carter, Nick Cunningham and David
Barron assess how the legal, procedural and competition
issues will be handled in the new system.
- Wenhui Zhang and Stephen Zou review recent decisions on
supporting patent claims in China. This
article is particularly relevant for those involved in the
biotech and pharma industries.
- Till Lampel and Martina Pfaff look at a string of interesting trade mark cases from
Germany involving colours, sweets and animals (pictured
- Patent cases at Hong Kong's Court of Appeal are rare, but
a recent judgment addressed sufficiency, novelty and
inventive step among other issues. Nina Fitzgerald and
Jeffrey McLean discuss it.
- In a thought-provoking article on "The advantages of numeral word
labelling", Amit Kumar Singh of TATA Steel asks if there
is a better, clearer way to label the figures in patent
The April issue also includes our roundups of IP news and
moves, highlights from the Managing IP blog, website and social
media, a special Utynam's Heirs from the International
Patent Forum and our monthly collection of sponsored and
free-to-read international briefings, covering the
latest developments from Africa to Vietnam.
It also features the third and final part of the IP STARS
2016 firm rankings, with the top copyright firms listed. See
our recent blog post for more details.
Coming up in our bumper May issue, distributed from May
- All the news and photos from the
Managing IP Global and North America Awards dinners (pictured
- Disparaging marks in the US - analysis
- Why the case law on design rights in the EU is looking
- Trade mark infringement and OEM in China - the latest
- Sports sponsorship: what to do when an endorser goes
- The top 250 women in IP listed
Plus much, much more!
Some of these articles will be available online before the
hard copy is published, so to ensure you have immediate access,
subscribe now and get the Managing IP